"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Movie Review: Hook (1991)

Hello!
Crystal at In The Good Old Days of Classic Hollywood, and Gill at Realweegiemidget Reviews, are hosting a Robin Williams blogathon, and as he is one of my favorite actors, I had to participate!
Do remember all the way back in November, when I reviewed Peter Pan, and showed you my Halloween costume? I absolutely love Peter Pan, and I will try any and every version or story about it. I saw this for the first time several years ago, but I hadn't seen it since I actually read the book. I was shocked, it held so many themes that were in the book! It was such a pleasant surprise.

Andddd.... apologizes for being so late all the time. Man, blogging has not been my thing this year. I promise I'll get better in April.

My guarantee: On ALL of my reviews there are NO spoilers unless it says so.

Anyway, enough chit-chat, here is....

Hook (1991):
"Only you can save your children."
Peter Banning is definitely "grown-up". As a lawyer, he is busy all the time and barely gets to spend time with his family. They go on a trip to London to visit the woman, Wendy, who got him adopted.
While they are there his children, Jack and Maggie, get kidnapped! A mysterious note is left, signed by Captain Jas. Hook. Wendy tells Peter who he really is, so off and away he goes to Neverland, to try to remember how to fly.
"You're doing it, you're using your imagination!"
Genre: Adventure, Action, Fantasy
Length: approx. 142 minutes.
Costumes: 7, they are all so good, but there are times when they are a little short, and where people are not wearing shirts.
My favorite: I mean, it's obvious, right? I dressed up like him:
Script: 6, there are a few bad words.
"I've just had an apostrophe."
"I think you mean an Epiphany."
Crew:
Directed by: Steven Spielberg
Produced by:
Kathleen Kennedy
Frank Marshall
Gerald R. Molen
Written by:
Jim V. Hart
Malia Scotch Marmo
Jim V. Hart
Nick Castle
Based on: Peter Pan (Also titled: Peter & Wendy) - by J. M. Barrie
Starring: "Who's the shrub?"
Robin Williams as Peter Banning, "Peter, you've become a pirate."
Dustin Hoffman as Captain Jas. Hook, "You're a bad man."
Maggie Smith as Wendy
Caroline Goodall as Moira Banning
Bob Hoskins as Smee
Julia Roberts as Tinker Bell
Dante Basco as Rufio
Amber Scott as Maggie Banning, "I've made you a hug."
Charlie Korsmo as Jack Banning
Arthur Malet as Tootles
Isaiah Robinson as Pockets
Jasen Fisher, Raushan Hammond, James Madio, Thomas Tulak, Alex Zuckerman, and Ahmad Stoner as Lost Boys
"Hold that happy thought."
Cinematography by: Dean Cundey
Music: 8
Music by: John Williams
Quotes: 9, "Hook's afraid of time, ticking away."
Notes: This movie is so sweet, it will make you cry, and it will make you laugh.
Storyline: 6, there is some suggestive things, kissing, smoking, and death.
"You need a mother, very badly."
Good For: All Peter Pan fans.
Overall Score: 7.5

And I got carried away with the pictures. Sorry about that...

Have any of you seen Hook? What did you think of it? Thank you so much to Crystal and Gill for hosting this!

MovieCritic

12 comments:

  1. I sooooooooo want to watch this!! It sounds like a LOT of fun!!

    Great review, Clare!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! And there are a lot of things in here that relate to the book, Peter Pan!

      Thanks, Lila! :D

      Delete
  2. Very interesting. I've always wanted to watch a live-action movie about Peter Pan, but haven't found one that I'd like. This one looks pretty cool- thanks for reviewing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a good one! It is a "sequel", and I don't usually like sequels, but this is so funny and good! :D

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. Great review, MC! How was Robert Williams in this film? He seems like a great fit for this role.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine! He was perfect! I can't think of anyone else who would do better.

      Delete
  4. This movie was so funny and cute! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been wanting to watch this movie and I just may now that I read your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely reccomend it! It is sweet and funny. And thank you, that means a lot to me! :)

      Delete
  6. Great pictures and post, just added you to my Day 3 post of the blogathon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting this, Gill! Sorry again that it was so late!

      Delete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles